Here are 5 easy ways to save you money on your utilities in 2015
- Make sure your furnace filter is replaced regularly. Frequency depends on the type of filter you currently have. Some filters are designed to be replaced on a monthly basis, others quarterly and some semi-annually.
- Ensure you have your heating and cooling equipment inspected and maintained annually. This can save you approximately 5% on your utilities, while reducing your risk of equipment breakdowns.
- Get your forced air system balanced. This will ensure that all areas of the home are receiving the required air flow. With a balanced system your equipment will run more efficiently.
- Keep your blinds and curtains closed in the summer months so you’re not gaining excess heat. However, we want curtains and blinds open in the winter months so we can use the sun light to add additional heat to our home.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Setting back your thermostat a couple degrees when your sleeping or gone to work for the day can save you up to 15% on the portion of your utility bill that is directly related to heating and cooing